As an intermediate layer; Filling (Floor and/or basement)
- System levelling.
- Under sand + cement screeds.
- Under self-levelling screeds.
- Underfloor radiating heating.
- Vaulted floor-levelling.
- Under industrial flooring.
- Under driveable asphalt surfaces.
Roofing; also with direct application of waterproofing(*)
- Pitched roofs.
- Flat roofs with or without falls.
- Vaulted roofs.
- Corrugated sheet iron.
- Asbestos cement fibres (encapsulation).
(*) castings prepared with Politerm Blu are suitable for subsequent direct laying of waterproofing membranes (“hot” bituminous prefabricated elements, “cold” bituminous prefabricated elements, “cold” synthetic prefabricated elements, liquid bituminous coatings (provided they are solvent-free).
Features and Benefits
- Carefully graded aggregates to produce a fine finish
- Integrally coloured
- Quality assured raw materials
- Available in a range of colours
Lightweight thermal insulating screeds prepared with the products of the Politerm Blu range (no added sand).
Based on virgin expanded polystyrene beads treated with a special additive, the superlight aggregates of the Politerm Blu range boast the following features:
- Easy to mix, place and finish.
- Cost effective.
- Homogenous bead distribution gives good workability and predictable performance.
- Good workability enables mixed material to be pumped 100 meters horizontally, 30 meters vertically.
- No loss of workability, even when pumped long distances.
- Mix design variable to produce densities from 200 to 1000 kg/m3.
- Compatible with most finishing products and adhesives.
Politerm Blu beads
Fire properties: Non-flammable - when tested to ASTM D 1692-68.
K-value of 0.065 W/mK to 0.1 W/mK depending on density.
Bags should be stored in a clean, dry place away from items which could split or damage the bags.
Preparation & Application
Thermal insulation mortar for concrete roof decks, underground floor slabs, basement walls, swimming pools etc. Lightweight filler for voids or levelling of floor slabs. Cavity fill for steel frame construction.
- The material must be mechanically mixed in either a purpose made mixer/pump; conventional concrete mixer or truck-mixer or specialised mortar mixer/pump.
- Placing and finishing equipment: as for normal concrete/screed application.
Dosages and Yields
|Cement dosage kg./m3||200||250||300||350|
|Thermal Conductivity W/mk||0.065||0.067||0.080||0.103|
|Compressive strength N/mm2||0.69||0.83||1.48||1.69|
|Flexural strength N/mm2||0.37||0.46||0.60||0.59|
|Hot-sealed membrane rupture N/50mm||57.00||n.d||62.00||21.28|
|Cold-sealed membrane rupture N/50mm||35.00||n.d||47.00||13.00|
|Elasticity module N/mm2||235.3||n.d||489.5||n.d|
|Permeability to water vapour μ||10.11||11.50||12.00||21.04|
|Shrinkage (NBN) mm/m||0.427||n.d||0.352||0.270|
|Fire reactivity||M0 UBAtc - B2 DIN 4102 class|
|Inflammability ASTM D 1692-68||Non-flammable|
Preparation of sand-free lightweight thermal insulation mortars
|To obtain 200 litres of lightweight mortar||To obtain 1m³ of light mortar|
|Approx litres |
|POLITERM BLU |
BAGS OF 170 l
|Approx litres |
|POLITERM BLU |
|200||16 - 20||40||1||80 - 100||200||Bags |
|250||20 - 25||50||100 - 120||250||5||2|
|300||24 - 30||60||120 - 150||300|
|350||28 - 35||70||140 - 175||350|
Thermal insulation to concrete roof decks shall be Politerm Blu, laid to falls at an average thickness of 100 mm reducing to a minimum of 50 mm at rainwater outlets. Preparation, mixing and curing shall be carried out in strict accordance with the manufacture’s instructions. Subsequent application of waterproofing shall not commence until the Politerm screed is free of residual moisture.
Determination of the thermal resistance “R” and thermal Transmittance “K” coefficients
Depending on the dosages of cement in the mix and the application thickness
|Coefficient||Screed Thickness - cm|
|200||0.065||R W/mk = |
|200||0.065||K W/mk = |
Preparation of mortars made with Politerm Blu ready mix in a truck mixer
Dosages of 1m3 yield of lightweight thermal insulation mortar
litres of water
|Politerm Blu Ready Mix |
bags yielding 500 l
|200||80 - 100||200||2||/|
|250||100 - 120||250||/|
|300||120 - 150||300||/|
|350||140 - 175||350||/|
|400||100 - 120 |
sand hydration (**)
|900||1.6 - 1.7||590|
(*) use only Portland 32.5R cement
(**) also dependent on the actual residual moisture in the sand used